Skip to main content

Unchaining Myself From Prison Scars

                        

 

                                                By Tristan

 

Prison does not suit me but I wear a prison suit that fits me. The neck-tie tightening each day, asphyxiation attempting to determine me.

 

My heart’s shattering desires attention, yet is appropriated by moments of vulnerability guarded in fleeting shadows.

 

I am alone here but never alone. The proximity of bodies that are confined with me, tide like a dense fog moving in on me. 

 

Traveling on a stranger’s eyes flowing like lava through blackened skies, I wait for an hour where I am not so alone. I am always waiting.

 

Crouching in the corner of my box, pulling up imaginary walls around myself. I write fragments of poems about the things I’ve done – about the things I will never do. 

 

When night arrives it’s lighter than the dark inside here. Slivers of moon catch the tips of razor wire, luring, startling my senses. 

 

My mind seizes for a moment around the totality of my circumstances. Thoughts that lie like a stinking carcass rattling around the fringes of any attempts to contemplate solitude.

 

On the outside only, needled ink represents me. The grey skin of prison has crawled upon me and sewn itself above my bones.

 

I walk edges of the sun that are about to come undone by bodies hollowed by consequences. I am swallowed. 

 

I’ve tried to live as someone else, wiggling out of my skin thinking it would free me from something. Only being able to creep close enough to change, I listened through a crack in the door where the real business happens. 

 

My hope is holding me under water just beneath the surface so I can not touch the things I see.

 

In places of my soul, I’ve adopted a habit of digging holes and hiding things inside them.

 

I see the weighted stones of my life scattered around me. Stones that might be repurposed for a stronger foundation perhaps?

 

Discovered strength is manifested for the fiercest of battles. Hours, days and years manacled, will not define. Today, a step out of my chains.

 

                                                                        Winter, 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother in Pearl

                                                                By Derek Ellwood   The introduction of everyday The sun rises with extraordinary radiance Yet in its infancy my days never Really started without seeing my Mother’s face In absence something just seemed off, Unbalanced. She reminded me of a natural kind Of elegance Like the uniquely mysterious composition Of a gem in an oyster shell. I often wondered where it came from How she held it with an opulent Depth of color, despite countless Unannounced storms that would shake us. Those seas would always calm, retreat With resilience she would remain  Like a blanket of comfort to Shelter, warm, love. Like a soft whisper across a fresh Wound. A gentle brush of hair away from a Teary eye, A heart in blind motion. Tender love would not adequately describe  That’s what kind of love she had That’s what kind of love she was…

Familiar Strangers

Stirring in conversation over a cup of coffee he has a way of leaving even while he is still there. He smiles and nods in accommodating fashion but the thousand-mile stare says he is gone once again. Then the rain falls between them to her, suddenly, things don't seem so clear. Confusion and hurt overwhelm her Panic hardens around confidence There is no strategy for departure Only twisted ramblings of salvation. Attempting to retrieve his heart she awakens before the sun to whisper in his ear. Her eyes relay a truth that is too heavy in stealth silence the emotional has led the physical in disappearance. Instantly broken a wholeness shattered into pieces a tailor of the heart with steady hand is urgently needed. She does not look for one Nothing is beneath her now.     -Tristan, 2013

The Sadness on Winter Trees

                                                                            Summer has an indubitable cruelty about itself while erecting insolently upon winter --- Encroaching foliage, choking with vibrant vitality, constricting the last drops of breath from skeletons with names like cottonwood, elm birch, Their bones moaning from the heft trespassed against them.   Where some might see beauty, I am intrigued by the selfishness as summer greeds what nourishment remains in brittle appendages for it is not the fruit that sweetens the marrow, that delicacy is designed for the adornment of summer that hangs from burdened limbs like an incapable curtain rod.   Summer invades like locusts, devouring everything it needs, leaving winter trees to suck their sustenance through dirty rooted straws having just enough strength to endure summer’s assault.   Should summer’s brief existence be questioned as to the stewardship of nature, on the account virtue is not realized in such an abrupt